Thursday, March 14, 2013

Hostel > Hotel

Hola! 

Yesterday was a very productive day, which explains why I did not have time to post an entry. ¡Lo siento! Instead of blogging, I spent my day doing homework and booking the last of our spring break hostels. Now, everything is set! With this, I felt inspired to write about hostel living and what it's like to travel Europe as a twenty-something.

Before the trip, I knew little about European hostels. All I knew was that they were cheaper, which made me have the preconceived notion that they were dirty, small, and potentially dangerous. After staying in a hostel in Lisbon and booking our spring break venues, I now have a completely different outlook on these living options. In fact, I now prefer hostels to hotels! Why? Let me tell you.

Top 5 Reasons Why Hostels > Hotels 
(Photos are all from our Budapest hostel, Hostel GoodMo)
Cost
Now, I knew that hostels were cheaper than hotels before I came Europe, but I also thought there must be a reason for this. That is, you get what you pay for. I could not have been more wrong! Hostels offer everything a hotel would provide. In fact, hostels give you more than many hotels. Most hostels provide free breakfast and even a complimentary meal. For instance, our hostel in Lisbon had a chef who prepared homemade crepes, among other options, every morning. Similarly, Hostel GoodMo hosts a free Hungarian dinner every Thursday night! Thus, we get free breakfast and a free dinner for only 10/day*
*Average hotel cost is €100/day

Kitchen at Hostel GoodMo
Dining area at Hostel GoodMo
Creative Design
I have been blown away by the interior design of the hostels. All seem as though they have been decorated by young artists. With they, they have fun paintings and unique style. The same cannot be said for hotels throughout the United States and Europe.

Living room in Hostel GoodMo
Living room in Hostel GoodMo
Options and Flexibility 
Before studying abroad, I thought hostel living would mean sleeping in a room with 20 other travelers. Now that I'm here, though, I know this is not the case. Although 20 person rooms are available, most hostels also offer rooms that sleep 1, 2, 4, 8, or 12 people. You can choose your preference, and thus you don't have to sleep with strangers! 


Bedroom in Hostel GoodMo
Family and Community
The people who work at the hostels are fabulous. From my experience, they are all friendly and passionate about their city. They want their guests to have a great experience, so they go the extra mile to help. In addition, they treat everyone like family. The workers provide free walking tours, pub crawls, and other city-specific activities. This creates a true sense of community, which doesn't exist in hotels. 

Description of Hostel GoodMo Staff (taken from their website):

Hostel GoodMo Staff
Atmosphere
Last, but not least, the atmosphere needs to be noted! This is my favorite part of the hostel experience. The combination of hip workers and friendly guests creates a chill and cozy vibe. In Lisbon, I met young travelers from Canada, London, and Boston, and they all were there to have a good time and meet new people. It definitely made me excited to return to the hostel every night! 

Smiles all around at Hostel GoodMo

Needless to say, I absolutely love hostels. They allow you to meet new people, truly get a feel for the city, and make you feel at home. The fact that they are cheap is just an added bonus. I recommend them to all! 

Cheers,
Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment