Sunday, March 10, 2013

Las Cosas Pequeñas

Hola! 

In Spain, Sundays are a day of rest. Now, I know this is a universal concept, but it is actually implemented in Segovia. People use this day to relax and spend time with their families. People do not work and all the shops (including supermarkets) are closed. In essence, Sundays are one big siesta

With this, I decided to resonate with the theme of rest and write about it in my blog today. Instead of documenting my crazy adventures, I want to write about my many blessings in Spain. I am incredibly fortunate to be on this journey, and I think it's time for a thoughtful reflection. There are many things I know I will never forget about my time here, but I also realize there are numerous things that I may forget. These are the things I often take for granted and overlook. 


Soy agradecido
For this, I want to dedicate this entry to those cosas pequeñas (little things) that are making my abroad experience so wonderful.

The Little Treasures of Segovia 2013

1. Having alone time
My alone time is the biggest thing I take for granted. Many of my friends live with older Spaniards who rarely, if ever, leave the house. Because of this, they are always surrounded by people. I, on the other hand, live with Marta and her two boys, and they are always on the go. During the school week, I have the afternoons to myself at home. Similarly, Marta works long days on the weekends so I am often left to myself on Saturdays and Sundays. This concept of alone time is something I overlook, but it is something many do not have, and for that I am thankful.

Relaxation
2. Living on the second floor
Before coming to Spain, I heard from multiple people that the apartments are tiny and thus you can't really "get away" when you're at home. Because of this, I was shocked when I entered my home and saw that I get the entire second floor to myself. With this, I get my own bedroom and bathroom. When I went to school the next day and we shared our living situations, I realized that mine is very different than the rest. All of my friends have to share their bathrooms and many have rooms attached to the living room and/or kitchen. When I heard this, I realized how blessed I am to have a place where I can go and escape and get some peace and quiet. 


Clip from my first day in Segovia

3. Daily meals
When I posted my recent entry about typical Spanish foods, one of my friends commented, "You forgot to include bread!" With this, I replied that my family does not consume pan (bread) with every meal. In fact, we almost never have it. I am blessed to live with Marta, as she consumes a fairly healthy diet. I am served vegetables and salads everyday, which cannot be said for many for my friends here. I know I take my meals for granted, and for that they deserve to be listed in the little treasures of my trip.

Un ejemplo de mi ensalada
4. Stunning scenery 
Segovia is a quaint and beautiful town, filled with an aqueduct, cathedral, and even a castle. At times, I feel that I've become jaded to the remarkable landmarks and views of the city. For this, I need to remind myself to stop and appreciate the beauty. 

El Catedral de Segovia
5. Maddie Tompkins
If you are Facebook friends with me, you probably recognize and know Maddie as she is in almost all of my pictures- we are almost attached at the hip! I met her in the spring of my freshmen year at CSB/SJU, and we have been close ever since. Going into this trip, I didn't know if it was a good thing to have one of my best friends with me. I was worried that it would hold me back and interfere with my experience. Now that I'm here, however, I could not be more thankful to have her. She has been my running companion, roommate on all the excursions, and a study buddy. More than that, though, Maddie has been there for all of the ups and downs of the semester. We can tell each other anything and are always looking out for one another. We've both remarked that it's just nice to have someone here who knows you. I could dedicate multiple entries to Maddie, and words cannot describe the gratitude I have for her.

Cheers to our wonderful semester in Spain!

Obviously, this list could go on for eternity. There are so many things I am grateful to have, but alas I have a paper due and must end this blog here. Hopefully this entry will inspire you all to appreciate all the cosas pequeñas that you have in your own lives! 

Cheers,
Anna 

No comments:

Post a Comment