Tuesday, April 23, 2013

America does it Better


Hola!

Now, I feel like I might have bashed the United States a little too hard yesterday, and thus felt compelled to write an entry entitled, America does it Better. That is, after months here I have also realized that there are many things that make more sense at home.

1. Meal times
After months of living in Segovia, I have learned quite a lot about Spanish food and their eating schedule. With this time, I have adapted, yes, but I am still not a fan. Namely, I do not like the large gap of time between la comida (lunch) and la cena (dinner). With this, I come home at night and am starving and thus stuff my face with food. Soon, I am extremely full and yet it is time for bed. I do not like this feeling! In the United States, on the other hand, I eat dinner around 7:00 PM, which gives my body time to work off the food and go to bed in a comfortable (or even slightly hungry) state - much better! 



2. Nightlife departure time
On a similar note, I do not like how late Spaniards leave to go to the bars and clubs. Now, I don't mean to sound like an old lady, but I can't handle leaving at 1:00 AM and coming home at 5:00 AM. It makes your next day miserable if you have to do anything, or it makes the day a waste if you sleep all day. Getting back at 1:00 AM, like I do in Minnesota, makes much more sense! With this, I can be asleep by 1:30 AM and still get seven hours of sleep when I start my day at 8:30 AM. Yet again, much better! 



3. Smoking
With all the research and public knowledge of its danger, why do people still smoke?! It baffles me everyday to see young people on the streets of Segovia lighting up with friends. Not only is it expensive, but it causes you to age and die quicker due to its negative health effects. In Minnesota, smoking is looked down upon and is not accepted in society. In Spain, on the other hand, it is a cultural phenomenon and is part of the social scene for all ages. It is both incredibly frustrating and sad. 



4. Store hours
In Spain, most people follow the no pasa nada lifestyle. That is, they do not feel compelled to pack their days and always be on the go. Spaniards wake up later, take afternoon siestas, and spend hours preparing and consuming meals with family. While I'll admit this is probably better than the US lifestyle, there are parts that frustrate me about it. One in particular is how the no pasa nada mentality affects the shops in town. That is, all stores (including supermarkets) are closed on Sundays. This can be frustrating and difficult, especially when you're hungry! Similarly, most tiendas (stores) do not have set store hours. They open when the owner chooses to arrive and close when the he or she decides to leave. I'll admit that the shop keepers try to keep a daily routine with this, but it is still irritating to not know the set hours. 



5. Education system
In Spain, you specialize your studies fairly early in your schooling. That is, there is less time to be "undecided" with your path in life. While I realize that there are pros and cons to this, I appreciate that the education system in the US allows (or even forces) students to spend time exploring their options in regard to major/specialty. I think it equates to greater happiness later in life.



Two days left in Segovia. Time flies.

Cheers,
Anna


No comments:

Post a Comment