Friday, February 1, 2013

#StudyAbroadProblems Being Sick

Hola! 

Madrid truly did get the best of me. The city showed me a great time, but it also gave me the wonderful parting gift of sickness. This past Monday, I woke up with a sore throat. I wasn't concerned, though, because I thought it was simply the result of a night with little sleep. The pain followed me back to Segovia, however, and has been getting progressively worse. 

Although the pain still lingered, I continued to push it aside - I simply needed more sleep! On Wednesday night, I went to bed early. As I closed my eyes, I thought to myself, "I'm going to get ten hours of sleep tonight. I'll wake up better!" Needless to say, I was excited for the sore throat to finally disappear. 

Unfortunately, this was a premature judgement. I tossed and turned all night and could not fall asleep. The pain was unbearable. It was the worst because I was truly exhausted, but my burning throat kept me awake. 


 Soon, I looked at my phone and saw that it was 4:12 am. I moaned in frustration. Then, I scrolled over to see what time it was in Minnesota, and saw that it was 11:00 pm. Distressed, I immediately called home (via an amazing iPhone app called Viber), and to my relief my mom picked up the phone. I am so thankful that she did! My mom gave me emotional support and my dad gave me medical advice, both in which I greatly appreciated.




On this note, I want to take a moment to express my gratitude towards my parents. They have been so supportive and caring throughout my entire time in Spain, and have gone the extra mile to show their love:

  • When my laptop charger broke, they researched stores in Spain and online retailers where I could buy another charger. 
  • Throughout my illness, they have been checking up on me to see how I'm feeling. My dad researched what the Segovian pharmacies call the medicine I need (Amoxicilina/Clauvulanico) and even found out that I do not need a prescription for it (you do in the United States). 
  • They always tell me that I can "viber" (call/text) them at any time, even in the middle of the night. 
  • Many more things!
I also want to thank my sister for being supportive as well! I have the best family.

Anyways, it is now Friday morning* and I still have a painful sore throat. I am visiting the nurse again at noon, and then am going to go to the pharmacy to get medicine. I went to my first class yesterday, and then had to go home because of the pain. I missed my two afternoon classes, but I am so happy that I left because I slept all afternoon and night.

*Note: It is now Friday night, and I thought I'd include an update to my nurse visit. The nurse checked my throat again and remarked, "It's looking better. Yesterday, your throat was covered with white specks, and now I don't see as many. It is just red and inflamed. That's good!" I'm not a licensed doctor, but I don't think white spotted and inflamed tonsils are normal. I went to the pharmacy to get the medicine my dad recommended, and they said I did in fact need a prescription. Marta (my host mom) has a sister that works in a pharmacy, and she said she would try to get it for me. I'm crossing my fingers (and you should too)!

Pray that I get better soon! We are going to Toledo on Saturday (tomorrow), and I want to enjoy it!


 Toledo, Spain


Cheers,
Anna 

1 comment: